Coup de Grunge
|"Coup de Grunge"|
|Airdate||October 20, 2015|
|Written by||Jim Sorenson|
The Master Renegade builds his own Power Suits, and the Renegades get a little...Grungy.
Cy-Kill and the Renegades were repulsed in their latest attack after once again failing to overcome Courageous, the Power Warrior created for the Guardians by the Last Engineer. A fuming Cy-Kill was in the process of taking out his defeat on his minions when the Master Renegade contacted them. He offered to duplicate the Last Engineer's work and provide the Renegades with their own Power Warrior, provided they make him their leader. Cy-Kill's belittled troops eagerly turned on him and Cop-Tur, locking them up.
The Master Renegade entered Rogue Star with Creepy and Bladez and went to work. He recreated the Last Engineer's ship and four Power Suits for Loco, Fly Trap, Screw Head, and Spoiler. They staged an assault on the Gobotrom Fortress, and the Renegade Power Suits were opposed by the Guardians in theirs. The Master Renegade initiated the combination sequence, but Loco thought he should be in control of the Power Warrior. The Renegades took sides between Loco and the Master Renegade, leaving the Power Warrior distracted and easy pickings for Courageous. The Guardians remarked that the Renegades' warrior was a bit grungy compared to Courageous, and the name stuck.
Back on Rogue Star, Crasher and Fitor had returned to free Cy-Kill. The Master Renegade and his Monster GoBots fled upon seeing this, leaving Spoiler and the other mutineers to their fate. Spoiler bartered for his life by claiming he had a scan of the Master Renegade's ship, and Cy-Kill began to plan for Dr. Go to one day recreate the Renegade Power Warrior.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
- Challenge of the GoBots Season 2 was a virtual continuation of the original show related by Vector Prime (from his multiversal perspective) and Cy-Kill (who lived it).
- In realities where this story aired on television, it premiered on September 26, 1986.
- This "episode" related by Cy-Kill from Ask Vector Prime's Guest column contained a mid-length summary–longer than the brief mentions of the earliest episodes, but not yet the full three-act synopses like later stories.
- This episode was named in an Ask Vector Prime post on December 21, 2015.
- This marks the first and only appearance of the Grungy combination. Cy-Kill will later revisit the Renegade Power Suit idea in "Combiner Wars Part 1" when he creates Nemesis.
- The Renegade Power Suits are identified as
- P-1 - Invulnerability
- P-2 - Strength
- P-3 - Speed
- P-4 - Teleportation
- In terms of publication, this is the first appearance of the Monster GoBot called Bladez. Cy-Kill had previously discussed Bladez in passing from his Guest Column on Axiom Nexus, and later Renegade Rhetoric stories would take place chronologically earlier in Bladez's history.
- The summary does not specifically identify Leader-1's "team" who joined him in creating Courageous, but...c'mon.