Once Braxis Twice Shy Part 1
|"Once Braxis Twice Shy Part 1"|
|Airdate||January 18, 2016|
|Written by||Jim Sorenson|
Doctor Braxis claims he has reformed! Can the Guardians trust him?
The Renegades attacked a UNECOM facility near Mercury to steal a new decryption key. During the assault, Doctor Braxis arrived brandishing a Destabilizer Cannon and drove off the Renegades. He turned himself in to UNECOM and the Guardians for prosecution. Back on Earth, Braxis claimed to have turned over a new leaf and wanted to work off his time in service to UNECOM. Leader-1 and General Newcastle hesitantly decided to give him a chance, despite Turbo and Matt Hunter's recriminations.
Braxis modified UNECOM sensors to detect Astro Beam activity, and identified Cy-Kill and a Renegade force materializing in Rio for another strike at the decryption circuit. Armed with Braxis's Destabilizer Cannons integrated into their hand-blasters, Leader-1 and a troop of Guardians easily drove off Cy-Kill. With Braxis seemingly redeemed, Leader-1 had all Guardians install the Destabilizer Cannon as a standard upgrade.
All except Turbo. The suspicious Guardian refused the upgrade, and tailed Braxis to a UNECOM hangar. He found Doctor Braxis conferring with the Renegade Bad Boy, and realized it was all a set-up! Turbo attempted to report to Leader-1, only to learn the Destabilizer Cannon upgrade had a secondary function...total mind control of all the Guardians!
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
- Challenge of the GoBots Season 2 was a virtual continuation of the original show related by Vector Prime (from his multiversal perspective) and Cy-Kill (who lived it).
- In realities where this story aired on television, it premiered on October 20, 1986.
- This episode was named in an Ask Vector Prime post on December 21, 2015.
- Braxis was last seen in "Shock and Awe", at large in the solar system after escaping in a ship with a damaged hyperdrive.
- Sky Fly and Guide Star make chronologically earlier appearances this episode, after their debut in "Opportunity Knocks Part 2". There they were described as new graduates of the Guardian Academy, so it would seem their appearance here is in homage to the continuity problems later episodes of the Challenge of the GoBots cartoon faced.
- Cy-Kill now has control of Dactyl, a Monster GoBot-style Power Marcher created by the Master Renegade. Apparently, it was left behind after the Master Renegade, Creepy, and Bladez fled Gobotron in "Graduation Day".