Tough Trailer (タフトレーラー) is a Machine Robo from Cronos and later Electronic Planet B-1, and Pro Truck Racer's younger brother. Despite being the younger, he is more level-headed even if he does have a blind-spot when it comes to whip-wielding alien women with heterochromia. Who doesn't, right?
He is 4.98 metres tall, weights 6.3 tonnes (or 32.8 with a fully laden trailer) and can reach 500 km/h in vehicle mode. In robot mode he is armed with Neutron Beams on his shoulders, and his trailer can add a Giant Cannon and Particle Beam Cannons when deployed in base mode.
He has the worst luck.
Fiction[edit | edit source]
Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos cartoon[edit | edit source]
- Voice actor: Hiroshi Yanaka (episodes 28-31), Nobuyuki Furuta (episode 34), Show Hayami (episode 35), Katsumi Suzuki (episodes 41)
Tough Trailer helped Rom Stol, Leina Stol, Blue Jet, Rod Drill, and Triple Jim transport refugees to the sanctuary of Emerald City. Underneath a Burning Sky They made it despite running Gyandlar attacks. Gather All Machine Robo He then helped run supplies to the city, often alone with Big Trailer Robo. During one of these runs Garudi was able to use a smokescreen to hide himself and a squad of troopers in the back of Tough Trailer, who blamed himself for the casualties the invaders caused once inside Emerald City. The Gyandlar tried to destroy the city via its' computer core; along with Drill, Tough Trailer was able to stop him, fearlessly drawing off the system's automated defences so Drill could bring the core under control. 10 Seconds Before the Explosion! Run, Tough Trailer!
After Yamalin was destroyed by Gadess, Tough Trailer continued to be a key part of the Machine Robo army stationed in the city's ruins. However, when an earthquake struck he was thrown into a chasm along with Diondra and a limpet mine. The pair were forced to work together to survive, including completing a climb while tethered together, and grew an unlikely bond before they were rescued by Drill and Pro Truck Racer. Escape from the Underground - Pro Truck Racer Appears! Along with an injured Leina Stol, the group became trapped in Gyandlar territory and had to make a hazardous journey back towards Emerald City. Pro Truck Racer clashed with Drill and Tough Trailer over how to proceed; after his brother stormed off and got into a fight with Garudi, Tough Trailer intervened but sustained considerable injuries.Fire! Big Blazer Cannon! As a result, Pro Truck Racer set off looking for revenge. On discovering this, Tough Trailer checked himself out of the medical bay and went to reason with his brother - however, he walked straight into a trap set by Diondra, who tricked him into picking up the Medusa Sword. This drove him to an insane level of bloodlust, even causing him to attack Pro Truck Racer, before Baikanfu was able to destroy the weapon and free Tough Trailer from its' control, in time to help save Pro Truck Racer and Baikanfu from quicksand. Curse of the Demon Sword Medusa
Tough Trailer became one of Rom's trusted key soldiers onboard the Battle Base, even getting equipped with a Blazer Cannon. After covering deployment of the Power Risers Power Riser, Break Through the Enemy! he was among the Machine Robo spearhead that entered the Gyandlar mothership - and got trapped in a melting room by Gadess. Mighty Fortress, Heavenly Sword - Jet Don't Die! Jet was able to free them; Tough Trailer attempted to get Diondra to follow them but her mind had snapped after Gadess betrayed her. He later took part in the final attacks on the Gyandlar forces. After Cronos had been saved, he elected to join the subsequent journey to the dimensional gateway above the planet.The Final Battle of Cronos
Machine Robo: Battle Hackers cartoon[edit | edit source]
- Voice actor: ?
After the Machine Robo left Cronos and passed a dimensional gateway they re-emerged as the citizens of the Algo Republic on Electronic Planet B-1 with no memory of their previous adventures. Tough Trailer became a member of the Silver Wolves, the land component of the Algo Army. When the human spaceship Good Luck landed on the planet he was among the troops scrambled from the Grand Whale in response, carrying the Battle Riser and Jet Riser. Burning Electronic Planet After Pro Truck Racer and Drill Crusher brought survivors Akira Amachi, Luke Stewart and Mia White to safety, Kempō Robo drove them to Crystal City in Tough Trailer. Later Akira and Luke stole the Riser Suits from his trailer without him noticing, so not everything changed after he crossed dimensions. Jet Riser! Scramble! He was later part of a unit led into battle by new Silver Wolves commander Rod Drill. Strongest Warrior - R.JeTan! Along with Rod, he helped the Winner Robo to traverse a huge canyon to destroy the Gurendos' new super-cannon by firing cables across for Roboshooter Gaiden to launch the team across. Dangerous Grand Whale Tough Trailer later worked with the Winner Robo again, delivering a cooling device that brought an overloading electronic furnace under control. Save the Electronic Furnace of Death! He was part of a Silver Wolves team that attempted to relieve the Battle Hackers, who were pinned down by Gakurandar and a huge force of Gurendos, but mines laid by Sorikondar prevented them reaching the besieged group before they were able to fight their own way clear. R. JeTan! Run! Tough Trailer was among the Silver Wolves who were part of a successful Algo Army attack on the Gurendos Quickly, Gattai Saurer! and later helped drive them out of Crystal City. Let's Do It! He was later part of the supply convoy Shinobis and Igarn used to sneak in to the Grand Whale, though at least they were in Land Giant 32, so for once it wasn't his fault. Special Command - Destroy RIM Tough Trailer was among the Silver Wolves on the Grand Whale when RIM flew the base into battle to aid the Battle Hackers during their assault on the Gurendos' Blood Country base. Goodbye - Battle Forever
Toys[edit | edit source]
Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos[edit | edit source]
- Tough Trailer (1986)
- ID number: MRB
- Accessories: Trailer
- Tough Trailer was released by Bandai in the Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos toyline, and transforms from robot to truck of fictional design. The toy is a recolour of Titan Boy, based on the mecha from the Chōshinsei Flashman Super Sentai series; Pro Truck Racer has similar origins, hence their fraternal relationship in the series. The robot mode has articulation in the shoulders and elbows. While the cab section is recoloured only, Tough Trailer featured an all-new container trailer that could open up to form a base/repair bay scaled for Machine Robo Series figures. Like Optimus Prime's trailer, but legally distinct. Tough Trailer is the only toy to use the Machine Robo faction logo.
- Tough Trailer was not released outside of Japan.
Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos (Action Toys)[edit | edit source]
- Tough Trailer (2019)
- ID number: MR-09
- Accessories: large gun, small gun, stand
The ninth figure in Action Toys' Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos series, Tough Trailer converts from robot to truck. The figure features a mix of plastic and diecast. While the trailer is omitted, Tough Trailer is around twice the height of other figures in the range.
Each sold separately
This toy article is a stub.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Tough Trailer first appeared as, well, a truck for his first two episodes, not appearing as a robot until "10 Seconds Before the Explosion! Run, Tough Trailer!". When first shown in "Underneath a Burning Sky" two Tough Trailers were seen loading refugees, but everything else in the show points to this being an animation error.
- A prototype version of Tough Trailer featuring a different colour scheme and a much squarer trailer was pictured in a catalogue. The toy was reputedly designed for the original Machine Robo line, cancelled, used for Flashman then reused for Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos.
- Considering his small role in Machine Robo: Battle Hackers it is unclear if his fraternal relationship with Pro Truck Racer was still the same on Electronic Planet B-1.