The Hawks of Space
| "The Hawks of Space|
Part 1 & Part 2"
|Airdate||October 19, 2015|
|Written by||Jim Sorenson|
A new technology? A new threat!
The Guardians and UNECOM developed a new prototype interceptor ship called the Space Hawk. As they prepared to mass produce the vehicle, however, Traitor of the Renegades learned of the project and reported it to Cy-Kill. The Renegades launched a three-pronged assault on their enemies: BuggyMan kidnapped Anya Turgenova to learn the secrets of the Space Hawk project, Cy-Kill's command team captured the prototype, and Fitor, Klaws, and Gunnyr led a series of strike teams to devastate the production facilities making more of the interceptors. All were successful except for Gunnyr, whose unit was opposed by Leader-1 and his personal entourage.
Dr. Turgenova was subjected to the Brainstormer, giving the Renegades all they needed to begin manufacturing their own Space Hawks. With Dr. Go hard at work on the project, Cy-Kill decided to have a little fun. He allowed Spy-Eye to spot Anya being transferred to a Renegade base on the dark side of the moon, hoping to lure the Guardians into a trap. Leader-1 launched a rescue mission as Cy-Kill expected, but their brazen approach was actually a cover for Scooter and Tail Pipe to covertly infiltrate the base. The diminutive Guardians freed their human ally, and escaped Cy-Kill's clutches.
With the finished Renegade Space Hawks, Cy-Kill launched an all-out assault on GoBotron. The Space Hawks of UNECOM rose in defense of the planet, and the Renegades were eventually sent packing.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
- Challenge of the GoBots Season 2 was a virtual continuation of the original show related by Vector Prime (from his multiversal perspective) and Cy-Kill (who lived it).
- These "episodes" related by Cy-Kill from Ask Vector Prime's Guest column contained a mid-length summary–longer than the brief mentions of the earliest episodes, but not yet the full three-act synopses like later stories.
- This story was later identified as a two-parter in an Ask Vector Prime post on December 21, 2015 but, because of the brevity of the description, there is no clear cliffhanger or stopping point identifying the two episode structure. Therefore, both episodes are summarized together in this article.
- In realities where this story aired on television, it premiered on September 25 & 26, 1986.
- This "episode" was the first published appearance of three of the Robo Rebels. This Guardian subgroup would be identified by name and receive an origin mini-series in Renegade Rhetoric episodes that were released later but took place chronologically earlier.
- Spy-Eye also made his first appearance in this episode. One of the last wave of Super GoBots, Spy-Eye never appeared in the original Challenge of the GoBots series.
- This story takes place prior to GoBots: Battle of the Rock Lords as it provides an origin for the Space Hawk vehicle.