The Arithmetic of Memory
|"The Arithmetic of Memory"|
|Airdate||January 27, 2016|
|Written by||Jim Sorenson|
When Leader-1 loses his memory, will the Guardians lose their greatest protector?
After an attack on a Space Hawk facility, Leader-1 chased Cy-Kill in a running battle. Cy-Kill put human lives in danger to divert his pursuer. When a little girl was threatened by a collapsing bridge, Leader-1 suffered a blow to the head as he rescued her, costing him his memory.
Amnesiac, Leader-1 stumbled back into the conflict as the Secret Riders caught up with Cy-Kill and Crasher. Unfamiliar with the sides or the cause for battle, Leader-1's natural sense of fair play made him question the 3-against-2 odds of Riders versus Renegades. Recognizing Leader-1's amnesia, Cy-Kill and Crasher played up their helplessness and managed to convince him to be part of the Renegades.
The Secret Riders were driven off by Leader-1, and returned downtrodden to the Command Center to report their encounter. Turbo correctly assessed that, with Leader-1 by his side, Cy-Kill would feel emboldened to attack GoBotron itself. Scooter then came up with an idea to help bring Leader-1 back to their side.
During the Renegade attack on GoBotron, Leader-1 refused to raise arms against the Guardians, but they too were unwilling to fire with him in the way. This allowed Cy-Kill and the Renegades to force their way in to Zeemon's chambers. The high councilor surrendered GoBotron to Cy-Kill, asking only mercy for himself and the population. Cy-Kill predictably refused and blasted Zeemon, seemingly incinerating him. With that act, Leader-1 realized he could never have been a Renegade, and turned on Cy-Kill. The real Zeemon and the Guardians then stepped out of the shadows and renewed their resistance: Scooter had set Cy-Kill up with a hologram of Zeemon.
After the battle, Leader-1's memory was successfully restored by the Brainstormer, and everyone had a good laugh.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
- Challenge of the GoBots Season 2 was a virtual continuation of the original show related by Vector Prime (from his multiversal perspective) and Cy-Kill (who lived it).
- In realities where this story aired on television, it premiered on November 7, 1986.
- This episode title was first released in an Ask Vector Prime post on December 21, 2015.
- Crasher previously indicated an affection for Leader-1 waaaay back in "Conquest of Earth".
- The Secret Riders are specifically identified as a trio, meaning the fourth Rider, Throttle, was apparently absent.