Scales is a cyborg monster created by Cy-Kill as a parallel experiment to Zod. Although not as powerful, Scales is a more versatile creature capable of conversion into a vehicle mode and with greater intelligence.
Challenge of the GoBots cartoon
- Voice actor: ?
Scales was first deployed by the Renegades when Crasher and Cop-Tur sneaked him to Earth for an attack on a UNECOM perimeter station, where Turbo and Scooter were repaired. The Guardians struggled to combat the giant monster until Turbo was able to pin Scales under a steel girder; however, the Renegades were successful in capturing the oscillator rod they had come for. Cy-Kill later deployed Scales as a guard for his Electromagnetic Neutralizer. While Leader-1 and Van Guard were again able to use Scales' lack of arms to drop something on its' head and trap the thing, Cy-Kill was still able to activate the device - briefly.
Scales was again used for guard duty when the Renegades set up a base in a human apartment. With Crasher, Scorp and Pincher he helped capture the snooping Turbo. He was later shrunk down to combat the miniaturised Guardians until their human friend Nathan sucked him up with a vacuum cleaner. Along with Fly Trap and Stretch he was chosen to raid the Federal Gold Repository as part of the Renegades' huge crime campaign, with Turbo unable to stop them. Later, when Cy-Kill was trying to deceive the Guardians with phony peace talks, Scales' high intelligence and subtle character made it the ideal thing to sneak along to preliminary talks in GoBotolis for reasons that were largely unclear. It meant Scales again caught Turbo where he wasn't meant to be and would have destroyed the Guardian if not for the intervention of Hans-Cuff and Night Ranger. Cy-Kill ultimately chose to let Turbo off the hook in return for no-one asking him why exactly Scales was there in the first place.
Scales was momentarily referenced in the Antares Eight's secret files and datatracks.
Ask Vector Prime
Scales and Dactyl joined Cy-Kill's command team in an attack on UNECOM in Rio, but they were repelled by the Guardians. From Axiom Nexus, Cy-Kill also described Scales as an attempt at Zod reconstruction. Scales was not as powerful as Zod, but more intelligent and capable of converting.
"Echoes and Fragments"
- Scales (1984)
- Enemy Monster Race Car
- Released in the second series of GoBots, Scales converts from Formula 1 racing car to reptilian monster. He comes with friction-powered wheels and a push-button transformation that causes him to "pop up" into monster mode while speeding along. The toy is scaled to be able to menace/knock over regular-sized GoBots, though that is the limit of its' interaction with them. The toy was one of a handful designed by Tonka especially for the GoBots line; as such the rights to it are now likely owned by Hasbro.
- Scales was exclusive to the North American market.
- The toy was first made available in the second series in its' own assortment (#7243) and remained available for the rest of the line's life on toy shelves.
- Scales's scale (ba-dum-tish) fluctuates wildly in the cartoon, from being twice the height of a GoBot to only a shade taller.
- Like Zod, how much sentience Scales has in the series is unclear.
- Scales's Cybertronian-style body in the "Cataclysm universe" is modeled on Thrust from the Beast Machines toyline with the head of Rippersnapper from the Generation 1 toyline.