Ring of Fire
From GoBots Wiki
|"Ring of Fire"|
|Airdate||November 8, 1985|
|Written by||Kelly Ward, Jeff Segal and Michael Hamm|
Cy-Kill plans to devastate the Earth by causing vast destruction along the Pacific Rim.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
- The Guardians are remarkably dim this episode. Or maybe it's just a facet of how poorly the plot hangs together.
- Leader-1 congratulates Nick and Scooter on their brilliant plan to stop the Renegades: Find where they are.
- Once they do, Leader-1's next step is to call Cy-Kill on the phone and say, "We know where you are, I'm coming to surrender." So...Nick and Scoot accomplished nothing, because Cy-Kill was going to tell Leader-1 where to go anyway for his surrender.
- Then, Leader-1 brings an invisible Scooter and Small Foot along as back-up, but tells them to do nothing. Moments later, Small Foot cries, "We need to find Leader-1!"
- When Leader-1 walks into the Renegade camp to surrender, and is in fact captured, Scooter remarks, "Oh, no! Cy-Kill's got Leader-1! I guess his plan backfired!" What was the plan, then?
- The Renegades sent for reinforcements. They have a guy who turns into a crane, named Crain Brain. So why is Cop-Tur left manually operating a crane that can't possibly be to scale for him?
- Not an error, but while Cy-Kill's talking about how gullible Guardians are, Leader-1 is just sitting there quietly shaking his head back and forth like, 'Nuh-UH!"
- Also, the ignorant island native stereotypes contribute absolutely nothing to the plot. None of the GoBots ever even acknowledge they're there.
- Gadgets and Powers:
- Scooter disguises himself and Small Foot behind a holographic cloud of smoke to trail Leader-1 unseen to the Renegades' hideout.
- Vamp traps Leader-1 in an energy-draining force field.
- Scooter uses a giant boulder hologram to roll over the Renegades.
- Crasher scores a direct hit on the ship with Thruster's blasters, but then the Renegades act as if she missed entirely.
- Cy-Kill is seen standing right next to Crasher when she downs the Command Center, but Crasher was at the Thruster and Cy-Kill was back at their base. Indeed, Crasher and Cy-Kill are seen returning to base in Thruster later.
Animation and technical errors
- Scooter's proportions are oddly warped during the opening scenes, especially his head. His eyes keep bugging out of their sockets as well.
- Crasher speaks in Cy-Kill's voice, telling Crasher to fire at will.
- The "Ring of Fire" is a figurative term for the ring of volcanoes found around the Pacific Rim. That said, Leader-1 and General Newcastle are watching an actual ring of fire on their viewscreen when Cy-Kill's tests his power.
- There is an enormous amount of background muttering and murmuring at UNECOM, as if Leader-1 is addressing a large crowd. Scooter has to cup his hands around his mouth to be heard, and Leader-1 has to dramatically quiet the room in order to hear him. But...there's only three humans and three Guardians present. Where's all that noise coming from?
- Meanwhile, Matt is doing some weird dance in the corner that involves jazz fingers.
- Small Foot's eyes vanish when she and Scooter first come out of the hologram.
- When Leader-1 ducks Cop-Tur's flying rotor, it doesn't fly past him. The rotor just sort of vanishes halfway over his back.
- After the commercial break, Small Foot's eyes are missing again, and her face is completely red.
- The red rectangles on Crasher's chest are missing as she prepares to drop Leader-1 in lava.
- Vamp is drawn with something resembling a mouth as the volcano begins to cave in, as opposed to her usual grill.