Riders and Rebels
|"Riders and Rebels"|
|First published||January 27, 2016|
|Written by||Jim Sorenson|
A competition between the Secret Riders and Robo Rebels turns dangerous.
While on patrol between the moons of GoBotron, the Secret Riders groused about the new graduates, the Robo Rebels, who seemed to be grabbing up all the choice assignments lately. Tri-Trak told Tork and Twister that all assignments were important. Sure enough, three Thrusters dropped out of hyperspace that moment near the Scientific Moon of GoBotron. Cy-Kill's Renegades planned to steal the Macrocosmic Continuum Distorter, and the Secret Rider's Command Center was left with 3-to-1 odds.
Tri-Trak called for back-up and fought a delaying tactic against the Thrusters until help arrived, but was unable to keep all three Thrusters busy. One took a landing party to the moon and secured the Distorter. When Leader-1's team and the Robo Rebels arrived in two more Command Centers, the Renegades had completed their mission and withdrew. The Robo Rebels mocked the Secret Riders for their apparent failure, and an argument broke out between the two squads. Leader-1 tried to calm them down but when he departed, Twister challenged Bent Wing to see who could recover the Distorter first. She accepted, and the Riders and Rebels took off in their Command Centers after the Thrusters.
Cy-Kill and the Renegades lured the impulsive Guardians into an ambush near Roguestar, disabling the Rebels' engines and the Riders' navigation, leaving both Command Centers adrift. The two ships and their occupants were brought aboard Roguestar, and Cy-Kill laughed gleefully at his new hostages. In the detention block, Tri-Trak finally managed to encourage the two squads to work together. Using teamwork, they escaped from their cells, disabled the Distorter, and refurbished one of the Command Centers into working order. The Riders and Rebels escaped from Roguestar and reported back to Leader-1 about the valuable lesson in cooperation they had learned.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
- Challenge of the GoBots Season 2 was a virtual continuation of the original show related by Vector Prime (from his multiversal perspective) and Cy-Kill (who lived it).
- In realities where this story aired on television, it premiered on December 10, 1986.
- This episode title was first released in an Ask Vector Prime post on December 21, 2015.
- The Secret Riders debuted as a graduating class of cadets in season 1's "Guardian Academy". The Robo Rebels followed after them in season 2's "Graduation Day".
- Continuing his absence from the last relayed episode, Throttle is once again not present among the Secret Riders.
- Professor Von Joy is mentioned as creator of the Macrocosmic Continuum Distorter, but does not explicitly appear in this episode. Zeemon is also mentioned without appearing.