Gyro Robo (MRR)
|This article is about the Machine Robo Rescue character. For the character from the 1980s Machine Robo franchises, see Gyro Robo.|
Gyro Robo is Leader Robo of the Gyro Team and his Robo Masters are the twins Susumu and Tsuyoshi Utada. He can combine with his Helicopter Robo Supporter Robo to form Hyper Gyro Robo. While he has a strong sense of justice he can be more interested in daring, dramatic action with a lot of property damage than just doing the job sensibly, clearly fancying himself as a crime-fighter rather than a rescue worker.
As a Leader Robo he is capable of summoning a ZONE. In Hyper Mode he can use Finger Flash, Gyro Shooter and Triple Tornado attacks.
Fiction[edit | edit source]
Machine Robo Rescue cartoon[edit | edit source]
- Voice actor: Naoki Yanagi
After he was completed, Gyro Robo was dispatched to America, where the high crime rates would make it easy for him to gather experience. His flair for kinetic solutions to problems gleaned a fair amount of news coverage but infuriated the police he was meant to be working with. The last straw came when he rescued a hostage from gunmen in a skyscraper, where the poor woman dropped dozens of floors before Gyro caught her and debris from the fight caused damage on the ground. As such when Koshiro Sasaki contacted them for help when Sunrise Dam came under Gura Gorro attack the Americans were only to happy to ship Gyro and his Helicopter Robo over to Japan. They arrived in time to help Police Robo battle the overpowered Gura Gorro, though Gyro needed a bit of badgering to actually behave himself and focus on the rescue. He set up a ZONE and successfully contained the Gura Gorro while Susumu made the dam safe, and then vanquished the attacker in Hyper Mode. After joining MRR, he was added to the Blue Sirens team. When the Utadas and team-mate Alice went to stay with the twins' parents, Gyro Robo joined them - hoping to pick up some wrestling moves from the boys' father Masayoshi. He was disappointed to find out he was too big to join in, but hung around and learnt from the wrestlers anyway. He also told Masayoshi of all the good his sons had done as part of MRR. However, the next day Masayoshi was trapped under a falling crane preparing an exhibition match. Gyro and the twins set off to help but the rescue was complicated by the arrival of a Gura Gorro; Gyro Robo activated a ZONE and kept it busy while the boys and the Helicopter Robo lifted the crane away. He then joined with the Supporter Robo to form Hyper Gyro Robo, and used his newly-learnt Triple Tornado attack to win the fight. Chief Bitou was impressed with the operation, and appointed the Utada brothers joint Robo Masters for Gyro Robo.
At the MRR open day Hyper Gyro Robo lost a mock battle against Hyper Fire Robo. Takion high-speed train, with Susumu following the maiden voyage in Gyro Robo. When the train was hijacked Makoto was winched up and lowered onboard by Gyro Robo, soon taking out the hijackers themselves - who didn't realise that their sponsor Jay had put an actual working bomb onboard. Alice and Tsuyoshi activated Siren Galley Robo to divert the train to a looped trap while Susumu deactivated the device after being lowered down by Gyro Robo, who then switched to Hyper Mode to help the rescue and ward off Stealth Robo. When Yellow Gears were sent into action to rescue Chief Bitou, Marie and Professor Tōru Suidōbashi from the Cube 1 submersible Gyro had to remind Drill Robo that he couldn't swim before he set off. Like the other Leader Robo, Gyro Robo was perplex by new recruit Submarine Robo's reluctance to join the others in the hangar. After Taiyoh and Jet Robo were knocked out of orbit by Stealth Robo battling near Ikaros 1 in Earth orbit, the Gyro Team joined the response. The massed number of MRR Machine Robo were able to persuade Stealth Robo to keep his distance, with Gyro ramming him into the sea, allowing Taiyoh and the Jet Team to be recovered.The Blue Sirens team were assigned to security of the new
Gyro Robo was present at a Crime Awareness PR trip into Tokyo, which went well until Charmy Sato's carelessness took out himself and all four human members of Blue Sirens. Later Gyro Robo was quizzed by Alice over whether he could tell Susumu from Tsuyoshi; the Machine Robo claimed he could before turning evasive when she tried to get him to prove it. The Gyro Team and the Fire Team were dispatched to deal with a tower block fire, one of several "accidents" MRR soon found out were Colonel Hazard's way of announcing his arrival as the new commander of the Disasters. He joined the other Leader Robo in embarrassing Makoto by making a huge banner to wish him luck on his date with Aki Saotome. Gyro Robo visited the Machine AI Laboratory to have maintenance checks carried out, and joining his fellow Leader Robo in bemusement when he found Professor Suidōbashi and the cadets engaged in a bizarre salute initiated by Sayuri Suizenji. After an amnesiac Jay was found and taken in by MRR his memories were triggered by Makoto. He hijacked Red Commander in an effort to locate and rescue Stealth Roboand MRR ultimately agreed to help rescue Stealth from an underwater volcano. Gyro Robo joined Jet Robo in fending off a trio of Gura Gorros that tried to disrupt the operation. After Jay and the rebuilt V Stealth Robo were accepted into MRR, the Leader Robo pondered which team they would join; Gyro Robo hoped it wouldn't be Blue Sirens as he felt the team didn't need another flyer. Like the rest of the Leader Robo, he found the rebuilt V Stealth Robo's lack of team spirit off-putting. He joined the callout when Hayami Heavy Industries came under Gura Gorro attack. Gyro Robo joined Alice, Sayuri and Lin in representing MRR at the Kansai Disaster Prevention Festival, going through his moves for the crowd. When the trio of cadets found a wounded rogue Gura Gorro on the run from BL Police Robo, Gyro Robo performed an EX Combination with the Bulldozer Robo to get the strength to defeat the Disaster. Along with the other Leader Robo, Police Robo was disabled by a freak resonance when the liner Poseidon's engine was damaged by a collision with an oil tanker near Rescue Headquarters. The cadets swung into action with just the Supporter Robo while the Professor worked on the problem.
After Makoto and Jay were accidentally launched onto Hell Island the rest of MRR tried to mount a rescue, though Jet and Gyro Robo were unable to penetrate the heavy storms surrounding the flying Disasters base. Instead Police Robo was able to perform an EX Combination with Stealth Robo, holding off the Mame Gorro guards long enough for their Robo Masters to get to safety. As Kaiser-G's plans reached fruition and he threatened the island of Kanameshima all of MRR were scrambled to try and stop him. However, even in Hyper Mode Gyro Robo was unable to do much against Kaiser-G. Jet and V Stealth continued to attack but were again easily defeated, and knocked into a volcano. The rest of MRR were forced to withdraw and deal with the catastrophes caused by Kaiser-G triggering numerous other volcanos on the Pacific ring of fire. Kaiser-G was able to move on to Tokyo, setting the meteorite Tartarus on a collision course with Earth. All of MRR scrambled to fight him but Hyper Gyro Robo again found himself unable to combat Kaiser-G, who was eventually defeated by the joint efforts of the cadets - with Gyro Robo catching the group that climbed onboard Kaiser-G to set explosives - Hyper Shuttle Robo, V Stealth Robo and Machine Commander Robo. The defeat of Kaiser-G and the Disasters didn't end MRR's work, however, and even on the day of their graduation Gyro Robo had to help recover a large submarine.
Following the formation of International Hyper Rescue, Gyro Robo returned to America as part of the expanding operation. He still worked closely with the Utada brothers, helping them capture The Boss by slicing her car in half.
Toys[edit | edit source]
Machine Robo Rescue[edit | edit source]
Rescue Combination[edit | edit source]
- Gyro Robo (2003)
- ID number: 05
- Accessories: blade (4), twin blaster (4)
- Gyro Robo was released in Bandai's Machine Robo Rescue toyline in April 2003, and converts from robot to VTOL-helicopter thing mode. The toy was packed with four near-identical Helicopter Robo Supporter Robo, which can combine with the robot mode to form Hyper Gyro Robo. Only the number on the chest of each Support Robo is different, but they are designed so that either can form an arm or a leg for the Hyper Mode. Due to the line's emphasis on compatibility these can be switched with any other Supporter Robo. Gyro Robo has articulation at the shoulders. The set retailed at ¥2500.
- Like the rest of Machine Robo Rescue, Gyro Robo was not released outside of Japan.
Merchandise[edit | edit source]
DX Machine Robo Rescue[edit | edit source]
- Gyro Robo (2003)
- Part of the second series of DX Machine Robo Rescue candy toys, Gyro Robo was a non-converting plastic model of the character in Hyper Mode configuration with limited painted details. The arms and legs could be detached and switched with the limbs of any other figure in the range. The figure also came with a small unpainted version of Gyro Robo in his vehicle mode. Each blind-boxed figure retailed at ¥300.
Sortie! Machine Robo Rescue Real Collection[edit | edit source]
- Gyro Robo (2003)
- Part of the first series of Sortie! Machine Robo Rescue Real Collection figurines, Gyro Robo was a non-converting model of the character in Hyper Mode configuration with painted details. The arms and legs could be detached and switched with the limbs of any other figure in the range. Each blind-boxed figure retailed at ¥200.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Supplemental material gives Gyro Robo's height as 7.4m and weight as 9.2t, and Hyper Gyro Robo's height as 12.6m and weight as 38.0t.
- While Gyro Robo uses the code MR-04 in the toyline he's consistently shown as using MR-02 in fictional material, such as monitor read-outs and bumpers from the show. It could be theorised that he was the second 'rescue' model built after Jet Robo and spent some time in America on this basis, but it also wouldn't be the first time something hasn't been completed in the order it was meant to. It still makes more sense than the GoBots numbers, anyway.
- Due to the high accuracy between animation models and the toys, Hyper Gyro Robo doesn't have any hands the cartoon or in physical form. As a result he simply doesn't pick anything up in the show.