|Airdate||February 3, 2016|
|Written by||Jim Sorenson|
It's a train heist in the desert!
On the Robo Rebels' first trip to Earth, Matt Hunter, Nick Burns, and A.J. Foster decided to show them around the Old West. At the Los Jovenes Dude Ranch, they booked a vacation with the proprietor Juan and his staff. While exploring the ranch, however, Super Couper discovered Juan was Ponce de Leon, and the staff were various figures of the legendary Wild West, kept alive by the Fountain of Youth and its restorative waters!
Unfortunately, Renegades spies Loco and Vain Train learned this as well. Loco visited the Fountain and filled a water tank with the fluid, taking it back to a Renegade laboratory. He analyzed its properties and distilled an anti-chroniton agglutination. By applying the substance to his armor, Loco "froze" his molecules against any outside force of change, making him invulnerable.
The Robo Rebels learned of Loco's theft and tried to attack, but the invincible Loco laughingly drove them off. Loco followed the Guardians back to the ranch, but they and the ranchers prepared a series of booby traps, pitfalls, and distractions before Loco's arrival. He was delayed long enough for Super Couper and Tail Pipe to find Loco's agglutination formula and reverse its effects. Unaware he was vulnerable again, Loco accepted Raizor's challenge to a Western-style duel. Not only did Raizor outdraw Loco, the Renegade was also shocked that his invincibility was gone. As Loco and Vain Train fled, Matt and the others promised not to report the existence of the Fountain of Youth to UNECOM.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
- Challenge of the GoBots Season 2 was a virtual continuation of the original show related by Vector Prime (from his multiversal perspective) and Cy-Kill (who lived it).
- In realities where this story aired on television, it premiered on November 5, 1986.
- This episode title was first released in an "Ask Vector Prime" post on December 21, 2015.
- The Robo Rebels became official Guardians after graduating from the Academy in mini-series premiere, "Graduation Day". This episode is their first visit to Earth. (However, see "Errors" below).
- Cy-Kill and Crasher are referenced but do not appear. Loco's intent to replace Crasher on Cy-Kill's command team harkens back to their poor relationship, seen occasionally in episodes like "Trident's Triple Threat" and "Renegade Carnival".
- Several Robo Rebels appeared with the Guardians in the two-parter "The Hawks of Space", which introduced the Space Hawk vehicle. Consequently, this episode of their first mission to Earth must take place at an earlier point. However, Vain Train is present in this episode as a Renegade. In his origin episode, "Brother's Keeper", Vain Train joined the Renegades after his starship was captured by Renegade Space Hawks. So Vain Train is present in an episode that predates the Space Hawks, yet did not join the Renegades until after the Space Hawks were created.
- Jim Sorenson acknowledged this was a deliberate error on his part, as a form of meta-commentary on the poor continuity famous (infamous?) in classic Challenge of the GoBots episodes.