Defeat Bug, the User of Darkness!
|"Defeat Bug, the User of Darkness!" |
("ankoku no tsukaite BAGU wo taose")
|Production company||Ashi Productions|
|Airdate||4 September, 1986|
|Written by||Hideki Sonoda|
|Directed by||Makoto Nagao|
In which Rom meets a bad guy who can match his pomposity.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Gadess, Grujios and Diondra watch the criminal Bug Newman in action from above Cronos, and realise he could be a match for Rom Stol in battle. Down on the surface Rom, his sister Leina and Triple Jim head to Iron City, Jim's home town where his good friend Vilion is chief. However, when they arrive they're attacked by Vilion, Missile Tank Robo and the rest of Iron City's residents; Rom holds them off while Leina and Jim double back to get Blue Jet and Rod Drill. With their help Vilion is subdued, but accuses them of being bandits due to someone with a similar fighting style to Rom being responsible for a number of raids on the settlement. While they're arguing the gang strikes the town again and the travellers confront them. Jim recognises the leader of the gang as Bug Newman, a former student of Kirai - however, Bug is using the lethal and forbidden Poison Fist technique; he kills one of his Supercar Robo followers to make a point and then defeats Rom, infecting him.
The battle does at least clear the travellers of suspicion, and Vilion sets his people to try and treat Rom in Iron City's hospital. Meanwhile Diondra visits Bug and his gang at their desert hideout, telling him Rom still survives. His group, along with Diondra and Gylandar captain Iron Sand, attack the town's quarry to draw him out but Rom has sneaked out of the hospital while everyone else is asleep, receiving a vision from Kirai. Vilion and Jet instead muster to face Bug, but the latter is captured by Iron Sand. Rom then arrives after meditating to find out how to combat Bug; as Kenryū he is able to free Vilion. Bug then merges with Iron Sand and battles Kenryū, before Rom upgrades to Baikanfu, destroying the robot. Bug is ejected as a result and captured.
Featured characters[edit | edit source]
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- As well as Buggy Robo, Supercar Robo, Highway Robo and Countach Robo, Bug Newman's gang includes green and yellow versions of Ambulance Robo, a brown Buggy Robo and some generics.
- Bug studied alongside Rom, Drill and Jet under Kirai, and was considered the best of them all before quitting training.
- The Poison Hand technique melts opponents at a touch. Rom is strong enough to resist an instant death however, and seems to be able to overcome the poison altogether.
Errors[edit | edit source]
Continuity errors and plotting errors[edit | edit source]
- Vilion and his men attack Rom due to his fighting style - which they don't see until after they've ambushed him.
- No-one even tries to intervene while Bug nearly kills Rom in their first battle.
Home video releases[edit | edit source]
- Laser Disc
1997 — Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos Volume 2 (Software Sculptors)