|Airdate||October 19, 2015|
|Written by||Jim Sorenson|
The New GoBots are Here!
A deep space exploration mission of Guardians returned to GoBotron for the first time in centuries. They had been absent since shortly after the upgrade from GoBeing to GoBot, and were unfamiliar with the current Renegade conflict. Before they could return home, the ship was caught in a blockade by Renegade Space Hawks piloted by Scorp and Crain Brain. Only Apollo was able to escape capture. The Guardians were brought aboard Thruster and subjected to Brainstorming, informing Cy-Kill about a mineral-rich world they had discovered. Meanwhile, Cy-Kill also noted tensions among the crew: Decker Decker found Hi-Way's leadership lacking while Vain Train had a poor relationship with his brother Bullet. Using his mental powers, Cy-Kill temporarily increased Hi-Way and Bullet's negative personality traits. Sending in Crasher as a recruiter, he was able to voluntarily recruit Decker Decker and Vain Train into the Renegades. Apollo returned with Leader-1 and the Command Center as reinforcements, though, and they freed Hi-Way, Bullet and Jack Attack. Cy-Kill and his new Renegades were forced to retreat aboard Thruster.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
- Challenge of the GoBots Season 2 was a virtual continuation of the original show related by Vector Prime (from his multiversal perspective) and Cy-Kill (who lived it).
- In realities where this story aired on television, it premiered on November 11, 1986.
- This "episode" related by Cy-Kill from Ask Vector Prime's Guest column contained a mid-length summary–longer than the brief mentions of the earliest episodes, but not yet the full three-act synopses like later stories.
- This episode was named in an Ask Vector Prime post on December 21, 2015.
- The new GoBots introduced in this episode are derived from Machine Robo toys that were never imported by Tonka to become part of the original GoBots toyline: Highway Robo, Shinkansen Robo, New Shinkansen Robo, Doubledecker Bus Robo, Apollo Robo, and Mini Cooper Robo. They were given suitable GoBot codenames for this episode.
- Although they debuted this episode, several of the new GoBots appeared in previous episodes, for various reasons:
- Decker Decker appeared in the two-parter Renegade Victory, an alternate timeline.
- Vain Train teamed up with Loco in Going Loco. That episode was chronologically set before this one and, according to Jim Sorenson, was a deliberate continuity error as meta-commentary on the occasionally poor continuity of the original Challenge of the GoBots series.
- Apollo was previously referenced in Cy-Kill For President, who could not recall in his story whether Apollo, Spay-C, or Path Finder had a close encounter with Sky-Jack. If it HAD been Apollo, this would be another continuity error like Vain Train's above.